The main function of dermal fillers is to reverse negative effects to the skin brought on by aging, problems with
acne scars or other facial defects. In other words, the main purpose of dermal fillers is to return the skin to its original
condition or to reshape certain features. Dermal fillers are suitable to treat fine lines, deep wrinkles and volume loss.
As the skin ages, the major elements of the dermis are gradually lost. These elements include elastin, hyaluronic acid
and collagen. Elastin allows the skin to stay firm and resist the development of wrinkles, depressions and folds on the
skin surface. Hyaluronic acid assists in adding volume and shape to the skin. Collagen is the major protein which supports
the skin. Dermal fillers provide the perfect solution to restore these lost elements.
At ReJuvederme Medical Aesthetics, we offer several types of dermal fillers:
HYALURONIC ACID FILLERS – CALCIUM HYDROXYLAPATITE FILLERS - COLLAGEN FILLERS
Hyaluronic acid fillers are widely used due to their high levels of safety and reliability. Hyaluronic acid
is a naturally occurring sugar found in the human body. Its role is to deliver nutrients to the skin, hydrate
the skin by holding in water and act as a cushioning agent. In the skin, hyaluronic acid fills the space between
collagen and elastin fibers, replenishing the natural support layers lost with aging. Once injected into the skin,
this product lifts and adds volume to the areas being treated. In a totally natural, but not definitive way, the
product will restore the smooth curves of your face and the natural sensuality and fullness of your lips.
Hyaluronic acid fillers come in different degrees of thickness, so they are a flexible option to improve different
sections of the face. Thinner fillers are more suitable for wrinkles and fine lines, or enrichment of the lips,
while thicker fillers are able to address very deep wrinkles and volume loss.
- Ultra XC is a colorless hyaluronic acid gel that contains a small quantity of local anesthetic (lidocaine) and is injected into areas of facial tissue where moderate facial wrinkles and folds occur, such as nasolabial folds, marionette lines, cheek wrinkles and lip augmentation.
- Ultra Plus XC, a more dense filler, is a colorless hyaluronic acid gel that contains a small quantity of local anesthetic (lidocaine) and is injected into areas of facial tissue where moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds occur, such as very deep nasolabial folds or cheeks sculpting.
- Voluma is a colorless hyaluronic acid gel that contains a small quantity of local anesthetic (lidocaine) and is injected into areas of facial tissue to recontour the face and restore volume to chin, cheeks, and cheekbones that have become hollow or thin due to weight loss or age-related facial fat loss. Immediately after treatment, you should notice that your facial contours appear fuller and rounder, giving your face a softer, more youthful appearance.
Hyaluronic acid fillers dissolve naturally over time. The effects of treatments usually last 6 – 14 months, sometimes more or
sometimes less depending on the skin type, the age and metabolism of the person, lifestyle, muscle activity, the volume injected
and the technique used for the procedure. Follow-up treatments are often required if you want to maintain the results.
Calcium hydroxylapatite fillers have maintained a safe standard of treatment in the cosmetic industry for many years.
Calcium hydroxylapatite fillers are longer-lasting dermal fillers which work wonders for facial sculpting, mainly for the
treatment of nasolabial folds. They are not used for lip enhancement.
Collagen stimulators are dermal fillers that encourage the body's own collagen production. Collagen stimulators are
composed from poly-l-lactic acid and can address lines and wrinkles, add volume and improve skin texture.
Side effects of dermal filler treatments:
Injections may cause some discomfort during and after the procedure. Dermal fillers are injected directly into the
skin using a fine needle to reduce injection discomfort. We also apply cold ice packs to numb the treatment area
and further minimize discomfort.
Most side effects are mild or moderate in nature, and their duration is short lasting (7 days or less). The most common
side effects include, but are not limited to temporary injection-site reactions, such as: redness, pain/tenderness, swelling,
lumps/bumps, bruising, itching, and discoloration. As with all skin-injection procedures, there is a risk of infection.
During the first 48 hours after your treatment you should avoid alcoholic beverages as well as massaging or rubbing the
treated area(s). If you have had a lip enhancement, avoid puckering your lips for the first two days after the treatment. Until
the actual swelling and redness have resolved, do not expose the treated area to intense heat (e.g. in a solarium or by
sunbathing), or to extreme cold.
Considerations about dermal filler treatments:
Our physician will ask about your medical history to determine if you are an appropriate candidate for treatment.
- Dermal filler treatments should not be used in patients who have severe allergies marked by a history of anaphylaxis or history or presence of multiple severe allergies.
- Dermal filler treatments should be used with caution in patients on immunosuppressive therapy or therapy used to decrease the body’s immune response, as there may be an increased risk of infection.
- The use of dermal filler treatments is not recommended during pregnancy or breastfeeding.
- Patients who are using substances that can prolong bleeding, such as aspirin or ibuprofen, as with any injection, may experience increased bruising or bleeding at the injection site. You should inform your physician before treatment if you are using these types of substances.
To discuss your particular situation in more detail, please make an appointment with our physician and he will discuss your particular situation and recommend various treatment options.
Dermal filler treatments can be used for:
Nasolabial folds (Smile lines)
These aging lines running from the corner of the nose to the outer area of the lips can be more prominent in some people. Up until now, dermal filler treatments for this area of the face had a short to medium lifespan. Now, nasolabial folds can be successfully treated with dermal filler injected into the deep dermis, with much longer lasting results.
Oral Commissure (Marionette lines)
These are the lines that appear at the corners of the mouth as a result of aging, and can make you look serious, or sad, even when your face is at rest. The filler allows you to carefully augment these small lines with only local anesthesia and with immediate results.
As we age, we start losing fat in our faces, especially in the cheek area. Dermal fillers are an ideal solution for adding volume to cheeks because the product does not migrate once injected and can be used to treat large surface areas in one procedure. The result is a healthy looking, contoured appearance common in more youthful cheeks.
Because the filler does not migrate it is ideal for the re-shaping, contouring, and augmentation of the chin, resulting in a more defined chin in a non-invasive and simple in-office procedure. In this sense it is an ideal option to a chin implant; resulting in a smoother, firmer chin that complements and balances your other facial features.
The filler is also ideal for those deep mental creases that form under the bottom lip. It can augment these deep indentations without invasive surgery, smoothing out the curvature of the area and taking away years from your face.
Over time skin loses elasticity and gravity pulls facial muscles downward. The jaw line is one of the most common facial areas where this occurs and where aging becomes apparent. The filler is an excellent choice to re-shape and contour the jaw line and chin. The result is a smoother, firmer jaw line.
Nasal Defects, Bridge Augmentation, Nasal Defect Correction, and Nasal Tip Projection
Dermal fillers offer a quick, immediate, non-surgical, non-invasive procedure for nasal contouring, with long lasting results.
BEFORE AND AFTER PICTURES